Living in Laos, how do you notice the poverty?

Discuss living and working in Laos
sas32
Just Landed
Just Landed

Living in Laos, how do you notice the poverty?

Postby sas32 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi all

This might seem like an odd question, but it's something which has been on my mind lately. As we all know, Laos is a poor country. But for those of you who live in Laos, how do you experience this poverty first hand? Do you feel that this poverty affects you in your daily life? Is it something that can even be annoying at times?
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Living in Laos, how do you notice the poverty?

Postby JohnBKK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:33 am

Well, I don't live in Laos but I visit the country frequently. Just looking at the overall condition of the buildings (anywhere in Laos really), gives you a daily reminder that you're in a poor country. The way Lao people dress is another indicator, that most people here don't have much money. And lastly but not least, compared to other Asian countries the selection of things to buy is rather limited - even in the bigger cities of Laos.

As to your question about whether the poverty affects me, I would say no. But then again, I don't live there ;)
Houtehul99
Flying in
Flying in

Living in Laos how do you notice the poverty

Postby Houtehul99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Of course it has.

To be quite blunt, unless you have a viable business here, or are shagging the locals, or both, then there really is no point of living here. So why do you live there?
BukHooKee
Flying in
Flying in

Postby BukHooKee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:16 am

When the shopping malls are better than your hospitals and schools, you know you are in a country that doesn't have their priorities straight. There are rich people in Laos that account for the 10% who are connected to the government, and then there are the 90% who are dirt poor. The way it works in Laos can be explained in this phrase "better you than me". So in other words it's better that others are poor then myself which basically means the rich don't care about the poor, as long as their rich they don't have any empathy for others who are less fortunate, or in this case, suffering due to poverty. They don't call Laos the second North Korea for nothing. Dictators and their families still control Laos and they want to keep it that way.
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:17 am

I agree in total with the post from BukHooKee.
sindyciaray
Flying in
Flying in

Postby sindyciaray » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 am

If there are so many problem there, then how can you live there still ?
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:44 am

I stay there because I have family there, love the country and the people.