The Peace and Serenity of Laos

Laos travel stories. Members of the forum can post their trip reports here.
CarissaP
Flying in
Flying in

The Peace and Serenity of Laos

Postby CarissaP » Fri May 23, 2014 10:32 pm

I just realized all I’ve posted about Laos are partially scary stories! Bribing my way across the border and being shoved into random vehicles weren’t my only Laotian experiences!

I stayed with my friend in a bungalow literally on the water. There were hammocks outside, our big bed (well, I use bed in the loosest sense, we slept on bamboo mats) covered in mosquito netting (no holes!) and we could literally sit on our “patio” with our feet in the water.

After the rushed pace we had before Laos it was a welcome relief to enjoy the peace and quiet. Of course, there were a few issues with enjoying the peaceful life away from the hustle and bustle, but I think that mainly added to the charm.

I have read that Don Det now has electricity 24 hours a day! When I was there it was not the case. Electricity on the island was limited. There were no lights in our rooms, and the few lights there were went out at night. This led to lots of bumping around when trying to reach the bathroom (which was your standard hole in the ground). It also meant no charging cell phone, but I really just used mine in case of emergencies, so that wasn’t an issue.

The restaurant that we went to was pretty much our area’s only option. Everyone who had a bungalow would meet up before sunset for an early dinner. We would exchange travel stories, swap business card of places to stay, and play drinking games which involved, “anytime an insect hops in your beer you have to chug.” I encourage you to play a variation of this game when you’re there; great fun was had by all. We quickly discovered that while fully stocked with beer and lao- lao (the local spirit) food varied day to day.

When we first arrived ordering went like this:
Us: “Ooo the pumpkin curry looks good.”
Them: “Sorry we’re out.”

We would go onto ask for two to three other dishes on the menu and be told that each dish was not available. Finally we smartened up and began asking what was available. That little trick made the ordering process much easier.

In short, Don Det was a miniature paradise. We didn’t have to deal with electronic distractions and instead we had the sound of water gently lapping against the shore, killer sunsets and fresh fruit. How is that not a great trade?
Attachments
bungalow.jpg
Beautiful Bungalow
bungalow.jpg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: The Peace and Serenity of Laos

Postby AngelaW » Sun May 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Very nice story, thankyou. I'm curious to know if there are any crocodiles in the waters to worry about? Also, living in a bungalow like you did, did you see any big spiders or insects in the hut?
CarissaP
Flying in
Flying in

Re: The Peace and Serenity of Laos

Postby CarissaP » Wed May 28, 2014 10:02 pm

We had some creepy crawlies in the bungalow, but nothing too scary! I've had bigger bugs in my apartment I have now in Mexico.

I don't know if I should have been worried about crocodiles. The first day we arrived there was a little girl swimming around without a care in the world. I am hoping her parents wouldn't have allowed it if it were dangerous.

That being said, my friend did cut her foot doing a back flip into the water, so we didn't get away without some harm :)