How much money would I need to live in Laos for 1 year?

Discuss living and working in Laos
sas32
Just Landed
Just Landed

How much money would I need to live in Laos for 1 year?

Postby sas32 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:21 pm

I am not talking about a luxury life in Laos, just living comfortably. I don't plan to work while I'm there. How much money would I need to live in Laos for 1 year?
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: How much money would I need to live in Laos for 1 year?

Postby laosTraveller » Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 pm

The question is really, how much of your western lifestyle do you want to maintain in Laos? I mean do you expect to eat pizzas and burgers every day or will tradidional Lao food do? What are your needs when it comes to a place to stay? Do you plan to go out every night?

These are some of the questions you should ask yourself. The answers will reveal if you can get by for $10,000 a year or if you should add some extra zeros to that figure ;)
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:27 pm

The average income per year for a Lao is a little more than $1,000 (source). Thus, if you can go navtive and live of rice most of the time, your $10,000 still allow you to live a good life. At least compared to the locals ;-)
BukHooKee
Flying in
Flying in

Postby BukHooKee » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:43 am

If you're a foreigner planning to live in Laos, be prepared to pay for EVERYTHING. In the west our culture is very different in that we pay for our own things and we expect others to pay for theirs so everyone pays for their own. We go out to eat and we pay for our own meal, split the tab, or separate bills. We invite friends out to see a movie and everyone pays for their own movie tickets and popcorn. Sure there are times I treat my friends and family and pay for dinners and things but this is not expected of me. In Laos if you are a foreigner or someone who has more money than others, you are expected to pay for everything. So your money will be spent fast cause Lao people think money grows on trees in the west and they will take advantage of that. Everything will be about money each day you live in Laos as a foreigner. Where will you stay? There are no apartments to rent, there are no places to stay for cheap long term. Even English teachers who make $1k usd a month just make ends meet. So how much money is enough you ask? Let's just say when your money runs out, you will have over stayed your welcome.