What is the current salary for an English falang teacher?

Discuss living and working in Laos
DaveRoberts
Flying in
Flying in

What is the current salary for an English falang teacher?

Postby DaveRoberts » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 am

If you haven't already seen my previous post, working in Laos is something I'm currently considering after I finish teaching in Thailand.

For people that have / or are working in the country at the moment, what salary can a new falang teacher expect at a standard state public school? And is it enough to live AND save?

I'm hearing from many sources that the income a falang would make in the country (depending on location) is only enough to 'break even' and wouldn't enable you to save extra money on top of what you earn.

Any detail would be much appreciated!
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: What is the current salary for an English falang teacher?

Postby JohnBKK » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:49 am

If you work full time on a public school you should earn around $800 - $1200 a month. If you have a TEFL or TESOL you can expect to receive an even higher pay. It might not allow for a life in luxury, but surdenly you can live comfortably. I don't work as a teacher in Laos myself, but a friend of mine does.
DaveRoberts
Flying in
Flying in

Re: What is the current salary for an English falang teacher?

Postby DaveRoberts » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:26 am

JohnBKK wrote:If you work full time on a public school you should earn around $800 - $1200 a month. If you have a TEFL or TESOL you can expect to receive an even higher pay. It might not allow for a life in luxury, but surdenly you can live comfortably. I don't work as a teacher in Laos myself, but a friend of mine does.
Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. It seems that the salary you can earn is slightly higher than what I first thought. Maybe you would be able to save if you were careful enough!