Am I allowed to work in Laos?

Discuss living and working in Laos
gladstone
Flying in
Flying in

Am I allowed to work in Laos?

Postby gladstone » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:08 am

I thought it could be fun to try and work for a short period of time in Laos as a school teacher. But being a foreigner, will I need some special documents, visa or so to be allowed to work there?
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Am I allowed to work in Laos?

Postby laosTraveller » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 am

You must obtain a work permit visa to work legally in Laos. Hence, this is required by law. Well, actually it's your coming employer who is responsible for obtaining the permit on behalf of you. As this whole process can take a while, it may in some cases be better to get started with the application before you go to Laos.
gladstone
Flying in
Flying in

Postby gladstone » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Sounds bureaucratic and it will probably take a while to get such a work visa in place, the way you describe it. I think I will look elsewhere to work then if Laos becomes too much of a hasle. But thanks for the information :-)
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby JohnBKK » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:59 pm

Well, it's not only in Laos where the law requires the employer to acquire a work permit on behalf of a foreign employee. I think this is how the law is in most Asian countries. At least it's how it works here in Thailand where I live.
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 am

With ASEAN cranking into being you need a work permit for any of the ASEAN countries if you are a foreigner and not from one of the member countries.
gladstone
Flying in
Flying in

Postby gladstone » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:27 pm

stumpy wrote:With ASEAN cranking into being you need a work permit for any of the ASEAN countries if you are a foreigner and not from one of the member countries.
I long for the good old days, before all this globalization. When the world was still flat...
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:20 am

gladstone wrote:
stumpy wrote:With ASEAN cranking into being you need a work permit for any of the ASEAN countries if you are a foreigner and not from one of the member countries.
I long for the good old days, before all this globalization. When the world was still flat...

Many years ago I did get to the edge but managed not to fall off :lol: