Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Discuss living and working in Laos
User avatar
missBackpacker
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby missBackpacker » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi there forum!

I love visiting Laos, and I thought of going to this beautiful country again in 2015. Staying there 4 months would be cool, as I would then have time to get a better knowledge of the people and culture. However, I would need to work during my stay, to make ends meet. I have worked as a teacher before, and I'd like to try this occupation in Laos, as teaching is something I'm good at (math and chemistry).

I'm thinking Vientiane is the best place for me to stay, as they already have some knowledge of employing foreigners. I know about the work visa thing which the school must obtain for me. So guys, which schools in the Vientiane area are easy for me to get a job with, and at the same time pay a reasonable monhly hire?
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:01 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby Phouvanay » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:06 pm

missBackpacker wrote:Hi there forum!

I love visiting Laos, and I thought of going to this beautiful country again in 2015. Staying there 4 months would be cool, as I would then have time to get a better knowledge of the people and culture. However, I would need to work during my stay, to make ends meet. I have worked as a teacher before, and I'd like to try this occupation in Laos, as teaching is something I'm good at (math and chemistry).

I'm thinking Vientiane is the best place for me to stay, as they already have some knowledge of employing foreigners. I know about the work visa thing which the school must obtain for me. So guys, which schools in the Vientiane area are easy for me to get a job with, and at the same time pay a reasonable monhly hire?
Hi missBackpacker,

When are you planning on going to teach in Laos? I should have taken teaching as a career. ;) I can ask my uncles and sister in Laos. My sister owns a preschool/kindergarten in Vientiane. She should have an idea. :D
User avatar
missBackpacker
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby missBackpacker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:03 am

Hi Phouvanay

That would be great. I plan to go there in April or May, and being able to work as a teacher and educate children would be awesome. Thanks a lot :-)
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:01 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby Phouvanay » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:06 pm

missBackpacker wrote:Hi Phouvanay

That would be great. I plan to go there in April or May, and being able to work as a teacher and educate children would be awesome. Thanks a lot :-)
Hi,

What grade/age are you looking to teach?
User avatar
missBackpacker
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby missBackpacker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:40 am

Hi again

I would prefer to teach children under 12 years :-)
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby JohnBKK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Good luck with the job hunt, and great to see other members on this site might be able to help with contacts :D It's my experience that it's always easier to find a job after you arrived - just go from school to school and ask.
User avatar
missBackpacker
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby missBackpacker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:00 pm

JohnBKK wrote:Good luck with the job hunt, and great to see other members on this site might be able to help with contacts :D It's my experience that it's always easier to find a job after you arrived - just go from school to school and ask.
Yes, that would be awesome to work with kids again. I have been teaching a few times before around the world, and it's always very exciting to meet new people :-)
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:01 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby Phouvanay » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:10 am

Hi,

I have a link, listing some schools of interest.

http://jclao.com/english-schools-in-vientiane/

From what my sister has told me, the top 2 school of choice are VIS and KIS, on the list. Wage will be depending on negotiation with the school.

Hope this helps. :D
User avatar
missBackpacker
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby missBackpacker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 am

That's very helpful indeed. I'll let you know how things go :-) Thanks again!
User avatar
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 12:50 am

Re: Teaching in Vientina for a few months

Postby AngelaW » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:10 pm

It must be rather exciting to work in a country like Laos, where everything is so different from what one is used to. Also kind of stressing I guess, with the culture shock and all :-/ Have you tried to work in countries similar to Laos before? If so, what are the biggest challenges in your view when working abroad in "exotic" countries?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron