Currently Working and Living in Laos

Discuss living and working in Laos
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Currently Working and Living in Laos

Postby Phouvanay » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Just wanted to see how many people in this forum, foreigners, currently work and live in Laos. How you found your job. What made you choose Laos. Just want to see how people ended up in this little place. :D
KennyFrog
Flying in
Flying in

Re: Currently Working and Living in Laos

Postby KennyFrog » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:05 am

I'm a Norweigan guy who have lived in Laos for 3 years. I left Norway back in 2008 because I fell in love with a Thai woman who lived in a Northern Thai province. We got married and I moved in with her. In a years time I managed to set up my own internet business selling clothes. Unfortunately my wife drank too much, and we split in 2010.

I had been to Laos on a few occassions in the past, and really liked it there. As I now had to find a new place to live, Laos (and Vientiane in particular) looked attractive. I found a nice place to live in Vientiane, and I'm still here :-) As my business is online, I can live everywhere in the world really. But I like it in Laos, as it's nice and calm here with nice and friendly people.
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:51 pm

That's great. How do you find the internet (service/speed/reliable) in Laos, since your work deals a lot with online? Myself living in Canada, the internet is taken for granted and the fastest speed is never fast enough. Everyone wants everything now.

Do you miss Norway, families, and ever thought of going back? I was born in Laos, but I grew up in Canada from age 6 and have always wanted to go back to Laos to live. 3/4 of my family are in Laos. The only thing I'll miss in Canada is access to better hospitals.
KennyFrog
Flying in
Flying in

Postby KennyFrog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:44 am

In Vientiane the internet is somewhat reliable, but if you go to more rural parts of Laos it's not. That's one of the reasons I want to stay in the capital ;) My business is hosted abroad, and fortunately I don't need a light speed connection to make money. That said, internet here can still be annoyingly slow at times :)

Sure I miss my family in Norway, but I'm not a very social person by nature, so email communication works for me. Some of my family members visited Thailand last month, and I went to meet them for a couple of hours in Chiang Mai. That's enough for me... :)

Do you speak Lao, because that would make it easier for you to find a real job here, if you're thinking about moving? So you're from Canada. I have always wanted to see Toronto but never found the time for it. Looks like a nice place to live. If you're unhappy with the hospitals in Canada, you might not like them here either ;)
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:22 am

Sorry, I meant, I'll miss the hospitals here in Canada if I move back to Laos. I do speak Lao. My parents have kept us speaking Lao at home, so we don't lose it.

I actually live in Calgary, with the beautiful Rocky mountain views. :D
KennyFrog
Flying in
Flying in

Postby KennyFrog » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:47 am

Phouvanay wrote:Sorry, I meant, I'll miss the hospitals here in Canada if I move back to Laos.
That makes sense then ;)
Phouvanay wrote:I do speak Lao. My parents have kept us speaking Lao at home, so we don't lose it.
That's great, because learning from childhood is the best way to acquire language fluency. Unfortunately my Lao is still very basic, and I never took the time to sign up to a language class.

Will you need to apply for a visa if you go to live in Laos on a more permanent basis, or do you have dual citizenship?
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:43 am

I will need to apply for long term visa to living in Laos. LPDR will not allow dual citizenship, but Canada will. I would keep my Canadian citizenship, as it will allow me to travel freely.
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:42 am

I visited Laos back in 2007 and was amazed by the culture and people here. Everything was so very different from what I was used to in Germany, and I liked how people always smiled at me :-) I ended up meeting a Lao girl who was about the same age as me, and as I did not have a job back in Germany (or anything else really) holding me back, I figured I might as well close my bank savings account, and bring whatever money I had to Laos to stay with my Lao girlfriend. Things worked out okay between us, and we decided to get married. Fortunately she is a hardworking woman and I make most of my cash online - seems I'm not the only one in here 8-) .
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 pm

My uncle was fortune enough to study in Germany. He got his Forestry masters degree there. The Loa Gov. sent him to study there. I should get you and him to meet. :D
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:13 pm

There is an expat forum for Germans in Laos here: http://www.internations.org/laos-expats/germans. I didn't join the forum yet myself, but it's on my todo list. Might be your uncle wants to join as well, so he can keep his German language skills up to date :)