Did you ever want to just quit your job and move to Laos?

Discuss living and working in Laos
Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

Did you ever want to just quit your job and move to Laos?

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Sometimes life can become too much routine. I mean getting up the same time every morning, working 9-17 in the office, and finishing the day in front of the telly. At times I feel a need to enrich my life with different cultures, better climate, and exotic lifestyles, which I believe I can find in beautiful Laos. But at the same time I'm not sure I dare to just leave it all behind. Quitting the job, selling the house and all.

Did any of you think about leaving your comfort zone and moving to Southeast Asia for good?
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Did you ever want to just quit your job and move to Laos

Postby AngelaW » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi Paul

Sometimes you should just follow your dreams, even if that requires you to move to the other side of the earth :-) But if you have children it can complicate things of course, and following your dreams will then probably have to be put on standby, unless the children are okay with moving to a new country.

Personally I would not want to move to Asia, because it's to culturally different from what I'm used to. I would probably get homesick in no time :cry:
Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Paul » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:08 am

Hi Angela!

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I agree that moving abroad with children requires a lot of preparation to be successful, but fortunately I do not have any children yet. So in regard to family, nothing is really holding me back. My dream is to live in Vientiane, and the more I think of it, the more I want to try this out. But in the back of my head there is still the fear of leaving it all behind...because what if things don't work out in the Laos, and I need to go back home. Then I have no job and nowhere to live. Well, Maybe I just worry too much... :shifty:
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 pm

hmm, I would say that it is a good place to retire... my main concern would be "education". do you think the quality here in Laos will be Ok for your kids? (if you have... or plan to start a family here.. )
I don't have any children yet (I'm still young btw .. haha), but thinking in a long-term.."life". I would certainly want to raise my kids in a more .."competitive" scenario. well, of course, things could change over the years...
but as it is now.. settling? (settle-ing? sorry) for long while young is out of question.. ( I consider "young" when you still have a kid with < 18 years old, or will have a kid.. )

so.. other than that.. if my kids are already grown up, then yes.. I would want to move permanently with my ..(future) wife..

still, Laos is developing... how much would it change in the next 10 years? would you want to go back when that happens? would you regret leaving it all behind 10 years ago? or would you regret missing the chance of living the Laos you liked back then?

if it's your dream, I think it's worth giving it a try :D

just my opinion .. good luck~ xD
Currently in a journey looking for cheap lessons about anything.. new language.. cooking.. sports.. martial arts.. psychic abilities.. dragon balls.. pokemons.. etc..
If you have anything cheap to share.. contact me :D

Keep going .. keep learning :P
Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Paul » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Edartlee!

Interesting points you make. You're right that Laos might look very different just 10 years from now, and who knows if it's still a nice place by then. I better try it out while it still looks like a good place to live :D This morning when I was still in bed and thinking, I finally decided on moving. Who knows when I will ever get the chance again, right :) Now I will just need to sell my things and quit my job. I might be able to leave in 3-4 months time (or as soon as I've sold my house) :thumbup:

By the way I don't think I will ever want to have children. It's too much responsibility, especially if I live in Laos :think:

I'll let you know how my plans go!
hansen
Flying in
Flying in

Postby hansen » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Hey Paul

I've been reading Through this thread, and what you did takes a lot of courage. I mean selling your stuff and moving away to Laos. I want to do the same really, although I don't have a house I need to sell first ;-) Can I ask how things went with your moving plans?
Sabaidee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Did you ever want to just quit your job and move to Laos?

Postby Sabaidee » Thu May 14, 2015 8:44 am

If you really want it, and if you have the opportunities: do it!
ads
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby ads » Tue May 19, 2015 7:59 am

I think about this every day, visas and permanency are off-putting though. I'd love to be a dual national there.
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Tue May 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Cannot be a dual national here as the Lao Govt do not recognize dual citizenship.