The old way of tubing

Laos travel stories. Members of the forum can post their trip reports here.
Backpacker0386
Flying in
Flying in

The old way of tubing

Postby Backpacker0386 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm

When I was in Van Vieng it was all about the tourists. The signs for all the cafés offer "special" toppings such as magic mushrooms on the pizza which assure backpackers a good time. I did not partake in any of these special pizzas. However, I did enjoy the tubing that was so popular!

Tubing was easy, you can be official and "book" an inner tube through your hostel, hotel or guest house. Another option was just going to the river and finding someone renting tubes. It was much less than a dollar for me, but depending on supply and demand prices can vary.

There are some adventurous souls who skipped the tubing all together and preferred to get a tuk-tuk to the river and to swim from bar to bar. I would NOT suggest this, but everyone has their own meaning of a good time.

Once you had your tube you could head straight in the water, or stop by one of the waterfront bars. They’ll normally give you a few free shots of lao-lao to entice you to grab some beers. I opted to skip the bar and start with the water.

While there are a few solitary tubers, usually tubing is done with a partner or in small groups. Even those who start alone surely will join others along the way. I quickly made friends with an Irish backpacker and a British English teacher who had taught in Korea and was backpacking through Asia before heading home.

The tubing experience varied. At some points it is talking and laughing with new made friends. Other times it is enjoying the nature. Mostly though it is hearing the bar touts shout out, “free lao-lao” or their other happy hour specials (half off beer etc.) If you decide to check out one of these bars they will either toss you a rope or a very long pole. You grab this and they pull you to their bar where debauchery may quickly follow.

I have heard some horror stories (broken bones, nasty cuts etc.) so I do feel like I should put my two cents in here. Drink, but know your limits! Try not to do anything stupid (jumping off rocks for example).
I used a ziplock bag I had safety pinned for money, but I saw a wide assortment of options other people used when tubing.

I have read that as of 2013 the bars by the river have shut down (http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/story/tr ... rty-s-Over). I would still suggest those who are interested in enjoying a more peaceful time down the river enjoy it! It seems like it may be safer, prettier and more tranquil nowadays.

Have any of you been there recently?
tubing-depart.jpg
Departing for tubing (image is from WikiMedia)
Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: The old way of tubing

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:02 am

I think I'm too old to try that myself, but it sure sounds like you had a lot of fun. I kind of like the fact, that they shut down the bars, as swimming and alcohol is a disaster cocktail.
Backpacker0386
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Backpacker0386 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:48 pm

I agree. I met quite a few people with tubing related injuries. I myself was fine, but I think I may have enjoyed a relaxing float even more than the bar hopping that I had. I guess I should go back and try again :)
gladstone
Flying in
Flying in

Postby gladstone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 am

Tubing is apparently still popular in Laos. I wonder what the locals must think about us westerners, if this is the first impression they get of us :o A little embarrassing in my eyes.

This is a recent video of tubing in Vang Vieng.

AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:27 pm

gladstone wrote:I wonder what the locals must think about us westerners, if this is the first impression they get of us :o A little embarrassing in my eyes.
I think they just see us as aliens stuffed with cash :D And cash usually makes it easier to see through fingers with strange behaviour in poorer countries :oops:
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby laosTraveller » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm

gladstone wrote:Tubing is apparently still popular in Laos. I wonder what the locals must think about us westerners, if this is the first impression they get of us :o A little embarrassing in my eyes.

This is a recent video of tubing in Vang Vieng.
I think they know about us strange falangs already from tv movies :)