How to get a Laos driver license

Anything related to Laos which does not fit into the other forums.
curly
Flying in
Flying in

How to get a Laos driver license

Postby curly » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:51 am

Hi,

I would like to know what are the steps that are involved in getting a Laos driver license. Is it good to go to a driving school and start from there. If so, would I get a list of approved driving schools that are in Laos, So I could choose the right driving school to learn and how would I apply for driver license after learning driving. Wondering, if there is a Laos transport or licensing department website where I can look into, if they have information listed down. Also, is there a list of driver license local office address available which I can look into to see.

Thanks in advance.
hansen
Flying in
Flying in

Re: How to get a Laos driver license

Postby hansen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:33 am

Here is a quote from section 9.3 in a report from Red Cross which might be of help to you (although it doesn't directly answer your questions):
If an agreement does not exist between Laos and the country of issuance of the license, an international license is
required. Foreigners must have an international driving license that has been issued overseas valid for one year or they
must apply for an international driving license issued in Lao PDR. To transfer a license to an international driving
license from Lao PDR, foreigners must submit an application to the Department of Transport. The application for
transfer must be certified by the organization for which they work with, and accompanied by a copy of their overseas
driving license and photos. This process generally takes about one month.