What are the conditions to marry a Lao woman?

Anything related to Laos which does not fit into the other forums.
jones
Flying in
Flying in

What are the conditions to marry a Lao woman?

Postby jones » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:24 am

I have always been fascinated with Asian women, because of their appearance and laid back style. If I ever were to marry a Lao woman and take her back to England, what would be the conditions/rules to do so?
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: What are the conditions to marry a Lao woman?

Postby lucas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:20 am

The marriage law implemented in 2012 means, that foreigners who want to marry a Lao woman, must be approved by authorities first (this is to fight human trafficking). You will have to stay in Laos for at least three months while you wait for the authorities to investigate your submitted documents. If you are trustworthy the process will go faster ;)
jones
Flying in
Flying in

Postby jones » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks for your answer Lucas. A couple of months in Laos to wait for papers to clear, doesn't sound too bad actually. I might learn a thing or two while there... ;-)
Sassafras
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Sassafras » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:28 am

If your criteria is simply to marry an Asian lady, and you haven't already found your special someone in Laos, then why not look elsewhere for love? You can easily meet and marry a Thai lady, without any strange laws to worry about. Also, Vietnam is fairly straightforward, and I believe you'll find the mostly conservative women there much similar to those of Lao.

Personally I prefer Japanese women because they are more modern and internationally minded than the rest of Asian women.