Laos New Year celebrations

Anything related to Laos which does not fit into the other forums.
sas32
Just Landed
Just Landed

Laos New Year celebrations

Postby sas32 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi

Any of you out there who have had the pleasure of celebrating New Year in Laos? All I know is that this event is celebrated in April as in any other Buddhist country, but I'm currious about how this takes place from someone experiencing it first-hand.
fisherman
Flying in
Flying in

Re: Laos New Year celebrations

Postby fisherman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:14 pm

It's a festival which officially lasts 3 days, but usually it goes on for a full week. Especially in the northern part of the country you will experience the more traditional Pi Mai Lao (Laos New Year). You'll see people splashing water at each other for fun (just like the Songkran festival in Thailand), amazing and beautiful sand stupas on the banks of the Mekong river, Buddha processions and much more.

Definetely worthwhile a visit :thumbup:
sas32
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby sas32 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks for the information. It surdenly sounds like something I should see at least once in this lifetime :-)
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:45 pm

When I went back to Laos during the New Years, my family took me to most of the temples in Vientiane, and cleanse the Buddha statues with scented water, to wash away the bad from last year, and a fresh start for the New Year. A ritual the locals do. :D

Besides that, there were a lot of house parties. Each family members taking turn hosting.

Word of advice, it’s a good idea to wear colored clothing. Buy something cheap from the market. At the end of each day, your clothing will become different colors. :D

I had so much fun. :D

Note: Not my photos.
Attachments
decorating-buddha 02.jpg
decorating-buddha 01.jpg
sas32
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby sas32 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:41 pm

@Phouvanay: It sounds like a pretty cool trip you had there ;) It must be exciting to experience first hand, which I assume is only possible if one actually has family relations in Laos, and not for a regular tourist like me :D
charley
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby charley » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:14 pm

Do you see tourists partake in the New Year celebrations in Laos? I ask because I know the tourists are very interested in New Year celebrations in Thailand (at least the water splashing part), and thought it might be the same in Laos.
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby laosTraveller » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Yes, there are more tourists when New Year is celebrated in Laos, but not even close to the hordes of tourists you will see in Bangkok. Personally I like it to stay that way ;)
Nodia111
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Nodia111 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:50 am

Well laosTraveller, I never got a chance to celebrate my New York in Laos. I mostly celebrate this event in NYC. It is my ideal place to enjoy these types of events. Anyway, After reading all posts, I will try to celebrate the upcoming New Year in Laos. Thanks for this great and new Idea for all traveling lovers.
Juice777
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Juice777 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:58 am

I know it's a old Thread but dose anyone know if I will have trouble travelling during Songkran this year?

I am going from Vientiane to Vang Vieng on the 12th

And Vang Vieng to Nong kai on the 16th

Do I need to book in advance?