Has Laos changed over the years?

Anything related to Laos which does not fit into the other forums.
phuket76
Just Landed
Just Landed

Has Laos changed over the years?

Postby phuket76 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:50 am

I often hear in the news that Vietnam is changing these years into a modern, tourist friendly nation with lots of export potential. Rarely do I hear about Laos though. I suppose Laos hasn't really moved in the same direction as Vietnam over the years, or am I wrong here? Did Laos change or is it basically the same country as it was 10-15 years ago?
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Has Laos changed over the years?

Postby Phouvanay » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:13 pm

I went back in 2011 and there are a lot more cars. The roads are not build or planned for that many. Lao government are now allowing foreigners to buy property, but only government owned property, and not from locals. I don't feel safe riding motor bike in Vientiane anymore, just to many cars.
phuket76
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby phuket76 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:00 am

More cars on the road is a good indicator that the middle class is growing, and I suppose the Lao people will demand more and better roads at some point. That's a good step in the right direction, as I see it :)

I did not know that the government owns property for foreigners to purchase. Do you know where the government lists these properties?
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:07 am

I have a youtube link to that news, if you can understand. :D But the site is not allowing me to post the link.

I am not sure if they have a list.
brinch
Laos Novice
Laos Novice

Postby brinch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:50 am

Hi Phouvanay

A user is allowed to post links when he/she has made 3 posts on the board (this is to keep spammers away). Thus you should be able to post links now :-)
Best always!
LaosForums.com Webmaster
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:56 pm

That's great. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqSecCblb1g

Last edited by admin on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Embedded Youtube video in post.
fisherman
Flying in
Flying in

Postby fisherman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:46 am

Hi

A friend of mine who speaks Thai was kind to translate this into English, as I was curious to know what was said on the video. Here's the translation:

"Lao allows foreigner to buy land

The Government has allowed foreign investors to buy land. Foreigners who have invested at least US$500,000 in Laos can buy land from the authorities only. Foreign investors will be allowed to purchase a maximum of 800 square meters of state-owned land for residential purposes or to construct factory.

Vientiane Times reports that if foreign Investors buy land from individual Lao citizens it would be a rapid increase in land prices and Lao people would lose their land.

Lao has been governed by The communist party for 36 years and the late 1980s Lao has opened country for investors and improved the law on investment promotion for the last 5 years. Within 9 years from now Lao wants to be deleted from the list of least developed country."
Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Paul » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks a lot for translating this into English. If I understand it correctly I will need to invest half a million dollars to buy and own land in Laos. Unfortunately I don't own that much money, but if I did I'd say it's still quite an investment to make in a communist country ;) When I eventually move to Laos myself, I will just rent property and keep my savings overseas.
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:36 pm

A lot more Chinese and Vietnamese people living in Laos now.
sas32
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby sas32 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 am

Phouvanay wrote:A lot more Chinese and Vietnamese people living in Laos now.
Yeah, the Chinese seem to be everywhere these days. Good thing, because they are usually nice people and have an entrepreneural mindset :)