What is the best order to learn Lao?

Learn to speak and read Lao.
Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

What is the best order to learn Lao?

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:37 pm

I have done a bit of Lao language self-studies for a couple of months now, and can understand a few very basic sentences. I can do no reading or writing yet. Although I'm only at a beginner's level, I find Lao very interesting and challenging to learn, and want to improve my skills over time. But which areas of the learning process will be the most natural next steps for me? I see these areas:
  • Learning to read
  • Learning to write
  • Grammar
  • Tones
  • Vocabulary
  • Speak
I personally think building a decent vocabulary is what I should focus on next, and learning to read should be the last thing. What do you think?
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Learning Lao in the right order

Postby edartlee » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Paul wrote:I have done a bit of Lao language self-studies for a couple of months now, and can understand a few very basic sentences.
If possible, get a Lao teacher for the Speaking part, Lao has some unique pronunciation that only a Lao Native (or someone equivalent :O) can tell if you're pronouncing it right or not. also .. Tones .. are on a whole another level.. (haven't got there yet.. but I can tell it's difficult :P)
Paul wrote:[..] learning to read should be the last thing..
my point of view .. ( I can be very wrong ..):
- Read/Write << This doesn't take so long ( It requires a lot of practice though .. )

the order, will depend on your goals.. I personally want (hope) to be on "Advanced Level" (good enough to read news, watch Lao-TV, sign contracts, etc.).
So to build a "Solid Base", I'd go first with Grammar. + Vocabulary on the go. (this way you can avoid making mistakes with sequence.. rules.. etc. the worse would be turning into a habit a mistake.. - to "un-Learn" something, it's quite hard..).
well.. to start with Grammar, you'll require Writing :P, and when you learn Writing you also learn Reading :P..
so..:
1. Writing/Reading
2. Grammar
3. Tones/Speak
4. Vocabulary
(This is what I think would be the best.., but each school has their own teaching pattern.)
Currently in a journey looking for cheap lessons about anything.. new language.. cooking.. sports.. martial arts.. psychic abilities.. dragon balls.. pokemons.. etc..
If you have anything cheap to share.. contact me :D

Keep going .. keep learning :P
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: What is the best order to learn Lao?

Postby laosTraveller » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:15 pm

I agree with edartlee that finding a native to help you with pronounciation is very important. My mum is from Lao, so I learned the language the "natural way", so to speak. I believe that just listening to the language can also be a very good way to learn a new language. By listening your brain will slowly but surely wire up to this new language, even though you may not understand a lot of words. This method takes time though - don't expect to notice any progress for the first 1000 hours of listening. But the cool thing is, that it doesn't reqire much effort. It all happens in your brain without you noticing. It's exactly how it works for a baby/child.