Writing a Learn Lao language book

Learn to speak and read Lao.
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Writing a Learn Lao language book

Postby lucas » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Hey!

Having too much time on my hands these days, I'm thinking of writing a book. Not just any book, but a Lao language book for beginners ;) Before I start writing, I need your opinion on a few matters:

1) Should I use phonetic or Lao script in the book?
2) Should it come with an audio cd, or will a download link be okay in itself?
3) Would you prefer this as a digital or printed book?

Let me know what you think :)
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Writing a Learn Lao language book

Postby laosTraveller » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:12 am

As there really aren't many of those Lao self study books on the market, your idea of writing such a book is great news.

Here's my take on your questions.

Well, if it's a beginner's book, you don't want to scare off potential readers with Lao script. Keep that for the intermediate readers in your next book ;) Use phonetics instead, and please choose phonetics based on IPA, instead of inventing your own. I say this because through the years I have seen far too many of those teach yourself Thai books, where the authors feel like inventing their own phonetics from scratch, and it usually never works.

Nobody really use CDs anymore (right?), so downloadable mp3's would work better. Maybe an mp3 per chapter would be nice.

I prefer a real printed book, where I can easily turn pages back and forth. But a digital book for those who already purchased the printed book, would also be cool.

Any idea for a title yet?
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 am

laosTraveller wrote:As there really aren't many of those Lao self study books on the market, your idea of writing such a book is great news.

Here's my take on your questions.

Well, if it's a beginner's book, you don't want to scare off potential readers with Lao script. Keep that for the intermediate readers in your next book ;) Use phonetics instead, and please choose phonetics based on IPA, instead of inventing your own. I say this because through the years I have seen far too many of those teach yourself Thai books, where the authors feel like inventing their own phonetics from scratch, and it usually never works.

Those are valid point; learning Lao script might be too much of a mouthful for the beginner, but on the other hand it can make the reader a little lazy just to use phonetics onward? If I use phonetics I agree that IPA is good to build on.

Nobody really use CDs anymore (right?), so downloadable mp3's would work better. Maybe an mp3 per chapter would be nice.

Hmm, yes. That would keep the publishing costs lower as well.

I prefer a real printed book, where I can easily turn pages back and forth. But a digital book for those who already purchased the printed book, would also be cool.

Personally I love browsing bookstores for interesting books (Asian bookstores are the best in the world), and I would prefer printed books over electronic books any time ;)

I haven't thought of a title yet, but I'm always open for ideas :-)
That is most helpful input thanks! My comments are in bold.
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby laosTraveller » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:16 am

I haven't thought of a title yet, but I'm always open for ideas
Some of the hot titles are already taken like "Lao for beginners" and "Lao Basics" :D Also, I suppose some titles are kind of reserved, like "Colloquial Lao", as there is already a "Colloquial Thai" on the market.

But how about "Beginning Lao", "Lao made Easy" or something more daring like "Lao, here I come". They all seem to be available. Oh, and you might want to consider a domain with the same name as your book title ;)
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:44 pm

I like the titles you suggested, and I might just pick one of those for my upcoming book. It's a lot harder than I thought to write a self-study book, but I believe I'm making progress. It's my plan to wrap it up in 5-6 months from now, have it published and ready for bookstores. I'll upload a free chapter in this forum thread, as soon as I can.
gladstone
Flying in
Flying in

Postby gladstone » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:36 am

Hi Lucas

How is the book progressing? I'd be happy to be your first customer ;-)
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:12 am

It's going fine, thanks, but it's also a lot harder than I imagined to write a book like this. I plan on a total of 12 chapters, and would say I'm about half-way through (draft). When done writing, I need English and Lao proofreading, dtp, audio, images and lots of other things :D But again, it's going the right way, and hope to be finished in 6-12 months...

Glad to have you as a first customer :)
gladstone
Flying in
Flying in

Postby gladstone » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:28 am

6-12 months is a bit longer than I had hoped for ;) But I understand it takes time to author a Lao language self-study book. Well, anyway good luck with the writing. And don't forget you promisesd us a sample chapter at some point :D