Language schools around Vientiane?

Learn to speak and read Lao.
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Language schools around Vientiane?

Postby AngelaW » Tue May 06, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm planning to study Lao in Vientiane for a couple of weeks. Not sure how much I will actually learn, but this is something I want to try. Are there any language schools you can recommend around Vientiane city centre?
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Language schools around Vientiane?

Postby laosTraveller » Wed May 07, 2014 9:33 pm

You won't find that many language schools in Vientiane. But one of the better and more established ones is http://www.ardalaos.com/ located close to Fa Ngum Park. I haven't personally attended classes at ARDA, but I have only heard good things about the school from others who have. Classes (one-on-one) are $7 per hour.
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi, this post is rather old, but here's some info for those interested..:

well, first .. ( where I'm currently studying in.. )
Masters IT & Language Center.
#44, Soukmisay Building (Joma Bakery 2F),
Dongphalan-Phonthane Road, Saphanthong
Neua Village, Sisattanak Districk,
Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
I'm almost finishing the first term.. I find One-on-one classes too expensive for the long run..
This one, requires a minimum of 4 people to form a group, one term cost 1.200.000 kip ( around 150 dollar ) for 60 hours == $2.5 per hour. ..... I study 2 hours a day, and 3 times a week.
So far, I've learned the basics, writing, reading.. and some speaking. tbh, not 100% satisfied, so far, after learning the Lao letters, we're just looking at "commonly used expressions".. we're not looking at grammars, so basically, we're memorizing some pre-defined questions and answers...

and .. next.:
NUOL ( Dong Dok Campus )
they have private lessons and regular ones. Private ones, are just like ARDA. and Regular are in groups (much larger group, from what they told me, they expect around 30-40 students from Vietnam.. China.. etc.. )
This is a little bit complicated.. registrations ( for this year-this next term ), are open on August, and classes might begin on October (they don't know it yet). it should cost something around $300-400 for a 1 year course.
I think, aprox. 600 hours in total. you'll study 4 hours a day, and 5 times a week. if it's $400, then.. == $0.67 per hour.
note.: this Dong Dok, is like 10 km away from the center. (I'm even considering moving somewhere near there once I begin studying there..). though you can get there by bus for 3.000 kip, good thing is that these buses have air-con :D
Currently in a journey looking for cheap lessons about anything.. new language.. cooking.. sports.. martial arts.. psychic abilities.. dragon balls.. pokemons.. etc..
If you have anything cheap to share.. contact me :D

Keep going .. keep learning :P
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:18 pm

You wrote:
> we're just looking at "commonly used expressions".. we're not looking at grammars

I think memorizing phrases can be a fast way to learn some basic conversation in a new language. This was how I started to learn Lao myself. Knowing a few phrases and the numbers I was able to do most of my shopping in the local markets in Vientiane and I could understand and reply to questions like "How are you" and "Did you eat yet" :D After that I studied vocabulary and grammar. So I'd say I'm at an intermediate level. I'm still not able to understand what they say on TV, though. It just goes too fast :crazy:

You wrote:
> they expect around 30-40 students

Wow, that's a huge group. I think 12-15 persons in one class would be max for me.
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:54 am

I see.. grammar at intermediate level.. and yea, it certainly is a good and quick way to start off in a foreign country.

yea, 30-40 students, is really .."the regular type", just like normal school classes.. < I still don't know the avg. age of people I'll meet there. whenever I went to NUOL, except for the teachers and staffs, I've only seen students at age 17-20 ... but then, they're Lao people attending other courses.. a group of students attending Laotian might be different. I personally hope for a group of more .. older people .. like 25 ..30+ years old ..

either way, from my point of view, large groups advantages is that you have a better chance at meeting interesting people, also, easier to find people with free time to practice Laotian.

btw, since the topic is Language Schools around Vientiane.. here's some extra info:
I'm also learning Korean, and this one << takes a slower pace, write.. read.. very few expressions, and more grammars. I can say that I know more Laotian than Korean, but I just feel that my Korean skills has a more .."solid" base..
Details..:
Logos Academy, at Rue Dong Palane (near D* Mart)
it cost 650.000 kip for one term (about 45 hours? I think..), I study 1h30 per day, 3 times a week.
textbooks have additional cost .. ( I think .. 20.000 kip? .. the second one costed me 40.000 kip ).
The teacher was substituted once, both are native Koreans, the first one spoke a little bit of Laotian and ..2% of English (it was a little bit difficult to understand certain things..), and the second one speaks English at Intermediate level.. and Laotian at basic-basic level.

and .. one more ..:
Japanese Lessons at NUOL ( at Lao - Japan Human Resource Development Center ).
this one (perhaps the cheapest course I've found so far ..),
it cost 250.000 kip per term. ( sorry, don't know how long/how many hours 1 term is..)
time: from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. ( Saturdays and Sundays ).
Textbooks will cost something around 45.000 kip.
It should begin by the end of this month (June). You can register now if you decide to learn some Japanese :D.
btw, based on its price, it should be a large group too ( maybe 30-40 students ). oh and also, the teacher will teach in Laotian. well, I should be fun :D , watched lots of Animes and J-Dramas, so it shouldn't be so hard ..
Currently in a journey looking for cheap lessons about anything.. new language.. cooking.. sports.. martial arts.. psychic abilities.. dragon balls.. pokemons.. etc..

lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:01 am

Which of the two languages you are learning, Lao and Korean, do you Think is the most difficult to master when it comes to reading/writing and listening/speaking?

I imagine there are some synergies if you learn two Asian languages at the same time like you do. Are there many similarities between Lao and Korean would you say?
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:23 am

so far, Korean is easier than Lao for me. but there are some variables to consider. I've watched lots of K-Dramas, so personally I like Korean far more than Lao, also, since I've been watching it subbed, I've done a lot of Korean listening.

Reading/Writing, personally I also find Korean easier, it follows the pattern "Consonant + Vowel" .. like "K + A = KA", there's also "Consonant + Vowel + Consonant" ..like "K + A + N = KAN".
now.. Laotian is a little bit different, since the vowel can appear before, after, above and under the consonant, it can be confusing at first.. (getting used to it slowly).. also, lots of these vowels have different forms.. like (vowel in the ending position.. vowel + consonant), I believe you know what I mean by this..

listening/speaking .. Lao is harder, if I'm not wrong, it has like 8 different tones..
Korean so far, I haven't seen anywhere in the textbook about tones, but I would say that there are 2 tones.. and these are like .. "Embedded" to the consonant? not sure how I can explain this, but basically one sounds louder than the other.. the letters are different.. so you basically "get it" on the first day of class.

Lao and Korean are completely different, both in writing and speaking... although there were times where I accidentally mixed the numbers, like saying ..65.000 with 60 in Lao, 5 in Korean..and finally (1)000 in Lao.

now which is the most difficult to master?
reading/writing, I would say Lao. << this as I said in on of the post.. we haven't looked at grammars yet, but there's another reason that weights much more.. which is available materials on the Internet.
You can find a lot more Korean materials.. text.. video-tutorials than Lao. Digital/Online Dictionaries/Translators also, is hard to find a good Lao-English app..

as for the speaking/listening, this will relate to how much you are exposed to them. If you can set up a regular meeting-exchange with local Lao people/students, and practice every day, then you should be able to master it in no time. (which is what I want to do once I start studying in NUOL).

since we're in Laos, mastering Lao speaking/listening should be easier.

AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:32 pm

Interesting thread to read ;) Do you think I will learn to speak some basic sentences + be able to read a bit, if I take a few weeks of one-on-one lessons on a Lao language school, or am I setting my expectations to high?
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:38 am

haven't done any one-on-one lessons, but I think its possible...
roughly speaking... maybe .. maybe ..
2 hours for consonants ..( by this I mean.. your teacher showing you each letter, teach you how to pronounce it ..)
another 2 hours for the vowels ...
+++ lots of homework... (write a lot).. I for instance, am a slow (and lazy :P) learner, so it took me a while to memorize all the Lao characters.
.. and the rest .. expressions? basic conversation?.. so yeah, I think it's possible ;D
btw, pronunciation can be a little bit hard, there are some unique ones that are hard to "reproduce" in other languages.

AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks! That sounds reassuring ;) By the way, how long did it take before you felt comfortable using Lao outside your school lessons (to talk to strangers in the market, taxi etc)?