Language schools around Vientiane?

Learn to speak and read Lao.
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Language schools around Vientiane?

Postby edartlee » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:33 am

well, I've learned for about 2 months (and 1 week) so far.. ( so still, a fresh starter..), I still can't communicate with Lao (have a normal conversation).. but as for using Lao outside .. I did it before starting Lao classes..
the most-most useful ones..:
- learn the numbers .. 1~10, 100, 1000 ... (and maybe.. 1 million? .. if you only ask for cheap stuffs you won't use this ..hahah. .)
some expressions like:
- hi, hello
- how much is this?
- thank you, good bye.
(these, I learned with my father, but you can find youtube video-tutorials too).

:: what is this? << looks like a nice expression.. but for a beginner it isn't..
you'll usually get .. "this is *****." .. and you'll wonder what is ******. so it makes no difference.. lol..
Currently in a journey looking for cheap lessons about anything.. new language.. cooking.. sports.. martial arts.. psychic abilities.. dragon balls.. pokemons.. etc..
If you have anything cheap to share.. contact me :D

Keep going .. keep learning :P
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks for the tips. I found some great Youtube videos where I learned a bit of Lao already - including the numbers :) I Also read somewhere in this forum, that the book called Lao for Beginners by Poomsan Becker is good for beginners, so I might just order that book.
Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:54 am

@angelaW: Looks like the kind of book I need for my studies.

@edartlee: Which learning materials do you use in the Lao classes you attend?
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm

@Paul: hi, I'm using the textbooks given (included on tuition fee) by the institution:
"Basic Spoken Lao for Foreigners" - 4th Edition
from : National University of Laos - Faculty of Letters - Department of Laos Language & Mass Communication - 2005

sounds good, but .. not really. (yeah, I'm going to study at NUOL - Dong Dok campus - it's most likely going to be the same book, at least I hope to go through it faster, since we'll be studying 4 hours a day, 5 times a week.
Currently in a journey looking for cheap lessons about anything.. new language.. cooking.. sports.. martial arts.. psychic abilities.. dragon balls.. pokemons.. etc..

Paul
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Paul » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:43 am

Yeah, at least title sounds good :) How long does it take to become fluent if you follow the school program?
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:27 am

to be honest .. no idea :( ..
the course program is written like this..:
Course --- Textbook --- Hour --- Terms --- Tuition (kip)/Term
* Beginner --- Lao Language Textbook 1 (2 Books) --- 60 --- 2 --- 1.200.000
* Elementary --- Lao Language Textbook 2 --- 60 --- 2 --- 1.200.000

so if we follow this pattern .. 1st year = beginner, 2nd year = intermediate?, and 3rd year = advanced? (well, this is how it actually is.. the English course in other countries...)

** Edit - update..
this private school (Masters IT & Language Center), doesn't have intermediate+ courses ..

edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Sup all, an update here about the Japanese Lessons:

I went to Dong Dok University today, paid for the tuition and textbooks.
3 Textbooks for 45.000 kip ( Basic Conversation - Hiragana (Writing) - Katana (Writing)
1 Term (aprox. 2 months) for 250.000 kip. so it's less than a dollar per hour .. :D :D :D

There's no English at all except for the Romaji. -- Everything, translations and explanations are all written in Laotian.. ( A pretty nice challenge .. haha )

After looking at the textbooks, there was this "LJI Japanese Language Course" stamp on it".. so I found this:
http://www.lji.edu.la/
http://www.lji.edu.la/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=54

on the website, It says that the class will start on 28th, June. but today, they told me that the classes will begin next week (5th, July), since an event came up and they won't be able to use the classroom.

on the second link, it says:
After three years of studying the basic course, students will be able to communicate in daily conversation and are expected to pass level N4 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). Moreover, students at the end of the intermediate course will have the ability to pass level N3.
No idea what this JLPT is (yet), but it seems to be promising.

So if you're interested and willing to take the challenge of learning Japanese being taught in Lao, I believe that there's still time to sign up. If you do so, pm me sometime later, we can help each other out :D

---- and .. an extra link/material for learning Korean:
http://talktomeinkorean.com/

I've found this website sometime ago, just went through all the Level 1 lessons yesterday. They provide audio explanations + .pdf files for free. The best website I've found so far. I'll be looking for a Japanese equivalent one, if I find one, I'll post it here.

btw, if anyone happen to know one for the Lao Language, please let me know :D ... (googled some months ago, but couldn't find anything ..good :(

*edit - typo

AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:56 am

@edartlee: Cool. You'll end up being fluent in all Asian languages then :D I will focus on learning Lao - that will be enough of a challenge for me.

Unfortunately, the only internet resources I know for learning Lao is youtube...
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby edartlee » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:32 am

only if I can keep it till the end :P (maybe 4 years++ ?) .. and yea.. sadly Lao learning materials are pretty scarce :(