Monthly news recap, July, 2015

Keep up with the news and headlines from Laos.
brinch
Laos Novice
Laos Novice

Monthly news recap, July, 2015

Postby brinch » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:33 am

Here are some of the news making headlines in July, 2015.

Football club in Laos said to traffic underage African players. Laos top league football club Champasak United, is said to import underage boys from West Africa for their team. However the boys get to live under slave-like conditions, and their families end up with debt. Read more.

Railway to connect China, Laos and Thailand. As part of a new railway project (which is actually a 4 year old plan), China and Laos want to build a bridge to Nong Khai province in Thailand. Laos to pay $840 mio in intial costs. Read more.

Drought tough for Lao farmers. Rice production suffers from lack of rain in South East Asia this year, costing farmers significant amounts. Laos, as well as Vietnam and Cambodia, is affected. Read more.
Best always!
LaosForums.com Webmaster
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Monthly news recap, July, 2015

Postby JohnBKK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

It sounds exciting with a new railway to China. However I can't tell from the linked article, how many years it will take to build. Anyone knows when it's supposed to be finished and open to the public?
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Monthly news recap, July, 2015

Postby lucas » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:01 am

JohnBKK wrote:It sounds exciting with a new railway to China. However I can't tell from the linked article, how many years it will take to build. Anyone knows when it's supposed to be finished and open to the public?
As I read the article, China and Laos agreed it will take 5 years to build the new railway. The problem is that there is no start date yet. The continued delay probably has to do with finding the money needed to fund the project... Oh well ;)