Bus from Chiang Mai to Laos

Planning your trip to Laos.
charley
Just Landed
Just Landed

Bus from Chiang Mai to Laos

Postby charley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:26 am

Hi

Are there any buses that run between Chiang Mai in Thailand and Laos (preferably Vientiane)? If so, what will a return ticket cost me?

/Charley
edartlee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Bus from Chiang Mai to Laos

Postby edartlee » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi, I don't think there are direct buses to Vientiane...

from Chiang Mai to Vientiane.. we took 2 buses + 2 tuk tuk..
first one, tuk tuk .. or "airport taxi" (from Chiang Mai's Airport), if I'm not wrong, it costed us 200 baht to go to the bus station.
from Bus Station (Chiang Mai) to Khong Kaen...
then another bus from Khong Kaen to Nong Khai.
.. >> here << we made a mistake by taking a tuk-tuk. < the driver took us to a sort of "Visa Agents".. though everything went smoothly, it costed us some unnecessary extra fees.
** From Nong Khai bus station, you should be able to get into a Lao-Thai International bus, which shouldn't cost more than 30.000 kip. (not sure about the price,
but from Vientiane (the bus station located near Morning Market), the bus ticket to Nong Khai cost 15.000 kip.)

I don't remember how much the long-distances buses costed .., sorry., but overall, it was like 1/4 of what we would pay for a flight from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani (A city between Khong Kaen and Nong Khai).

if you can afford a plane ticket to Udon Thani, and from there take a bus to Vientiane, I'd suggest you to do that.

this whole process (from Chiang Mai to Vientiane by bus), took us about 2 days... I was too naive when I used the maps to judge the distance and speculate the time... there's a lot of mountains on the trip, so it takes much more longer.. very .. very tiring :S .. we ended up spending the first day in Vientiane sleeping in a hotel .. lol.

** edit update..:
charley wrote: If so, what will a return ticket cost me?
/Charley
if you go by bus .. I don't think you'll buy a return ticket ..
Currently in a journey looking for cheap lessons about anything.. new language.. cooking.. sports.. martial arts.. psychic abilities.. dragon balls.. pokemons.. etc..
If you have anything cheap to share.. contact me :D

Keep going .. keep learning :P
charley
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby charley » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks a lot! It sounds like taking the bus is too much of a bother. I can afford an airplane ticket, just thought taking the bus would have been be easier :)

/Charley
StephanieG
Flying in
Flying in

Postby StephanieG » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:47 am

Get to Chiang Mai’s bus terminal early – by 8:30am if possible. Because the bus you want leaves Chiang Mai at 9am. Get your tickets at the Green Bus counter for Chiang Khong. Two buses a day (9am and 1pm) make the 4 hour trip – again, try to catch the earlier one if you can. If there are any delays to the later bus, there’s a chance you may not make it to the immigration office before it closes at 6pm. After arriving in Chiang Khong, take any tuk-tuk to the border – a fixed price of 30 baht per person. It’s about 2 kilometers if you want to walk it! :)
charley
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby charley » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:25 am

StephanieG wrote:Get to Chiang Mai’s bus terminal early – by 8:30am if possible. Because the bus you want leaves Chiang Mai at 9am. Get your tickets at the Green Bus counter for Chiang Khong. Two buses a day (9am and 1pm) make the 4 hour trip – again, try to catch the earlier one if you can. If there are any delays to the later bus, there’s a chance you may not make it to the immigration office before it closes at 6pm. After arriving in Chiang Khong, take any tuk-tuk to the border – a fixed price of 30 baht per person. It’s about 2 kilometers if you want to walk it! :)
Thanks for the information. It's much appreciated :D
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:04 am

There are hire companies in VT. A Google search will find them. One way hires may be expensive