Types of visas?

Planning your trip to Laos.
jones
Flying in
Flying in

Types of visas?

Postby jones » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:36 am

I'm looking for a complete list of visas available for foreigners visiting or staying in Laos. Have been searching the internet already, but that left me just more confused :crazy: Thanks :)
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Types of visas?

Postby laosTraveller » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:54 pm

I believe there are 7 different types of visas:

1) Diplomatic Visa (A1) for government officials, UN representatives etc.
2) Official visa (A2) for consulate staff etc.
3) Courtesy visa (B1) for foreign experts doing work for the Lao government.
4) Business visa (B2) for foreign experts working for companies and organizations.
5) Visit visa (B3) for foreigners visiting Lao family.
6) Tourist visa (T) for foreigners holidaying in Laos (up to 15 days).
7) Transit visa (Tr) for foreigners just passing through Laos.

The information above is in no way complete or guaranteed to be 100% accurate. Check out an official page from the Lao government for more precise information on visas.
sas32
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby sas32 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:04 am

Great overview of visa types; I have been looking for something like this actually :-) Oh, and I'm surprised to see there is a visa for those having family in Laos. But it's called a "Visit visa", where I would assume it is more like a permanent visa (to stay and provide for Lao family)?
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby laosTraveller » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:22 am

sas32 wrote:Oh, and I'm surprised to see there is a visa for those having family in Laos. But it's called a "Visit visa", where I would assume it is more like a permanent visa (to stay and provide for Lao family)?
Well, according to this visa information from the Lao Embassy in Belgium, the Visit visa only allows you to stay for one month. But the visa can be extended if needed, which would of course be the case if you want to stay with family. I'm not sure if it can only be extended one month ahead in time. Maybe someone else knows more about this matter?
lucas
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby lucas » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:01 am

laosTraveller wrote:
sas32 wrote:Oh, and I'm surprised to see there is a visa for those having family in Laos. But it's called a "Visit visa", where I would assume it is more like a permanent visa (to stay and provide for Lao family)?
Well, according to this visa information from the Lao Embassy in Belgium, the Visit visa only allows you to stay for one month. But the visa can be extended if needed, which would of course be the case if you want to stay with family. I'm not sure if it can only be extended one month ahead in time. Maybe someone else knows more about this matter?
You can extend the visit visa by up to 2 months.

Note, that you are not entitled to work on this visa.