Is it safe to fly with Lao Airlines?

Planning your trip to Laos.
Sassafras
Flying in
Flying in

Is it safe to fly with Lao Airlines?

Postby Sassafras » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi all

When I visit Bangkok this Summer, I will spend a week or two of my vacation in Vientiane, as I really want to see what Laos is all about. I've been looking at taking a plane from Bangkok to Vientiane, and can see that Lao Airlines fly this route. They are cheap, but how safe are they to fly with? Any others who used their services in the past?
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Is it safe to fly with Lao Airlines?

Postby laosTraveller » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 am

The few times I flew between Bangkok and Luang Prabang it has been with Lao Airlines. The flights have been on time, have friendly crew, clean airplanes, and perhaps most importantly a free beer served on board :-) I would give them 4 out of 5 stars.
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:17 am

Try them, you will like them.
quark
Flying in
Flying in

Postby quark » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Lao Airlines has had 7 crashes since 1979. Latest was back in 2013, where one of their aircrafts crashed into the Mekong river, and all on board died. But that said, I don't know how Lao Airlines compare to other commercial operators when it comes to number of accidents.
Gaudente
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Gaudente » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Sassafras wrote: a plane from Bangkok to Vientiane, and can see that Lao Airlines fly this route. They are cheap
Cheap ? They are the worst thieves of South East Asia ! I've always taken an Air Asia or Nok Air plane to Udon Thani and from there the "limousine" to Friendship bridge. It saved me 2-3,000 baht every time.
Sassafras
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Sassafras » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Gaudente wrote:
Sassafras wrote: a plane from Bangkok to Vientiane, and can see that Lao Airlines fly this route. They are cheap
Cheap ? They are the worst thieves of South East Asia ! I've always taken an Air Asia or Nok Air plane to Udon Thani and from there the "limousine" to Friendship bridge. It saved me 2-3,000 baht every time.
Well, I'm not saying they're the cheapest on the market, but $135 (net promo) for a one-way ticket is still a good deal I think :)