I want a Lao girlfriend. What are my odds?

Planning your trip to Laos.
hansen
Flying in
Flying in

Re: I want a Lao girlfriend. What are my odds?

Postby hansen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:49 pm

stumpy wrote:My dowry was very cheap at $300 which was returned to me after the ceremony. The biggest cost for me was time off work plus having to fly twice from Vientiane back to Australia for documents to be translated and stamped by the Lao Embassy in Canberra
Hope things went well with your marriage after all this travelling back and forth ;) Can I ask you what it's like to be married to a Lao woman in regard to cultural differences? Are there any differences that are hard to deal with and work out over time? I ask because I would like to meet an Asian (possibly Laotion) woman myself.
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:47 am

For most people the biggest thing is language. Then culture.Learn the language and do take time to study the culture of Laos especially the do's and don'ts like raising you voice and yelling at people. Religion plays a big part in Lao life.
hansen
Flying in
Flying in

Postby hansen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:36 pm

I believe I know most of the do's and dont's already. Although I agree that learning the language would be very beneficial for me, I suppose it should indeed take a long time to become fluent. Do you speak the language already?
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby JohnBKK » Sat May 02, 2015 12:51 pm

I agree with the poster who suggests you study and learn the language first. Speaking just a bit of Lao will open doors for you, and make it more likely you won't get cheated on ;)
Sabaidee
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Sabaidee » Thu May 14, 2015 8:27 am

I just posted a reply. But it is not showed here...

One more (shorter) try:

I have a Lao girlfriend and we will marry. I know her for quite a long time (almost 2 years) and my experience is that Buddhism is very tolerating towards people who think different or have a different (or no) religion. Learning the language makes communication a lot easier of course (I still have to learn a lot).