I want a Lao girlfriend. What are my odds?

Planning your trip to Laos.
Sassafras
Flying in
Flying in

I want a Lao girlfriend. What are my odds?

Postby Sassafras » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:46 pm

One of my good Swedish friends has an Asian (Thai) wife, who has been living here in Sweden for several years. She is very sweet, and I must admit there is something about her personality and culture that really attracts and fascinates me. I think meeting an Asian girl might just be the right thing for me as well.

It just so happens that I'm probably going to visit Laos for 2 weeks this coming Summer, and this could just be a great chance to meet and find an authentic and unspoiled girlfriend. But what are my odds of chatting up a nice Lao girl in the tourist areas, and maybe ask her out for dinner and get to know her? Will she be okay with that or are they generally shy towards foreigners? What are my chances?

Thanks for any advice :-)
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: I want a Lao girlfriend. What are my odds?

Postby JohnBKK » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:16 pm

If it was me, I would setup dates with a few girls in advance using some of those Asian dating sites. That way you are sure to get a couple of dates with girls that match your criteria.
Sassafras
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Sassafras » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:35 pm

My earlier experience with online dating is not that good. But I reckon it's an easy and convenient way to meet new people. I think I will give it a go ;)
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby JohnBKK » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Don't forget that if you get a Lao girlfriend and eventually want to marry her, you will need a marriage license first. This either endures a lot of paperwork and patience, or a decent amount of money ;)
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:14 am

There are lawyers who are able to assist and guide you through the paperwork trail. It does cost but it seems that the time taken is around 2 to 3 months.
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby JohnBKK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:20 pm

stumpy wrote:There are lawyers who are able to assist and guide you through the paperwork trail. It does cost but it seems that the time taken is around 2 to 3 months.
That's true, but I believe it's also quite costly if a lawyer is involved. However if it's true love money usually comes in second ;)
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:18 am

I would opt for using a lawyer if I got married again in Laos. My marriage cost $20,000 and took 12 months to get the paperwork together. That was a long time ago in southern Lao and no one had done such a thing before. I had to take time off work and fly back to Australia twice to go to the Lao Embassy in Canberra to get papers translated and notarized.
A lot easier now.
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:14 pm

stumpy wrote:My marriage cost $20,000 and took 12 months to get the paperwork together.
Wow, that sure was an expensive deal you made there ;) Did you have to pay a dowry as well?
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby laosTraveller » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:22 pm

AngelaW wrote:
stumpy wrote:My marriage cost $20,000 and took 12 months to get the paperwork together.
Wow, that sure was an expensive deal you made there ;) Did you have to pay a dowry as well?
Foreigners are always expected to pay a marriage dowry to the wife's parents. From what I've heard $1000-$1500 is a reasonable dowry if the girl comes from a low- or middle-class family.
stumpy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stumpy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 am

My dowry was very cheap at $300 which was returned to me after the ceremony. The biggest cost for me was time off work plus having to fly twice from Vientiane back to Australia for documents to be translated and stamped by the Lao Embassy in Canberra