Can I find good quality hygiene products in Laos?

Planning your trip to Laos.
Adam
Flying in
Flying in

Can I find good quality hygiene products in Laos?

Postby Adam » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm probably going to visit Laos for a longer period, but I am a bit concerned about products used for personal hygiene in a good quality not being easily available. Primarily facial masks, aftershave, hair mouse, conditioners and body lotion are products that are important to me, and something I use a on a daily basis. I could bring my own stuff of course, but that would take up a lot of luggage space. What would you suggest?

One more thing; I like to go to the gym 3-4 times a week to keep fit. Are there gyms in the bigger cities of the cities in Laos?
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Re: Can I find good quality hygiene products in Laos?

Postby laosTraveller » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:48 pm

If you're in Vientiane, you will find most of the popular beauty brands in Talat Sao (which is a shopping mall). If you don't mind local produce check out the outdoor marketplaces.

Your best bet is to look for a hotel with a gym. You won't find many gyms elsewhere. It's just not something people care much about here ;)
JohnBKK
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby JohnBKK » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:21 pm

You could also just shop whatever products you need for personal hygiene and cosmetics in Thailand (you will find all the great brands there). It's really not that far to the Thai border from Vientiane ;)
Adam
Flying in
Flying in

Postby Adam » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Just a little update on this, as I have recently returned from Laos :)

To be honest I didn't really find any of the beauty products I was looking for while in Vientiane; not even in Talat Sao. Instead they had some other more local Asian brands, which I purchased and plan to try. Fortunately I brought the skin products that are most important to me from back home, so the lack of more international brands was not really an issue.

Finding a good gym in the city isn't that hard. I ended up training in a place called Sengdara Fitness, which even has a pool and sauna. This place seemed to have karate/taekwondo classes in the afternoon, if some of you are into that kind of stuff.

Loved every second of my trip to Laos and look forward to go back there some day... :thumbup:
AngelaW
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby AngelaW » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:48 pm

For some reason I didn't spot this thread until now. Indeed very useful information for a woman like me, who never goes anywhere without wearing makeup :-) Thanks for the great tips on shopping beauty products.
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:54 pm

Talking about brand name products. Looks like Laos is getting a huge mall with brand name products. See news link below.

hansen
Flying in
Flying in

Postby hansen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Phouvanay wrote:Talking about brand name products. Looks like Laos is getting a huge mall with brand name products. See news link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QckcJzWuLEQ
Makes me glad to see how Laos is becoming more liveable for foreigners these years. I hope more malls will follow :-)
Phouvanay
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Phouvanay » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:12 pm

hansen wrote:
Phouvanay wrote:Talking about brand name products. Looks like Laos is getting a huge mall with brand name products. See news link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QckcJzWuLEQ
Makes me glad to see how Laos is becoming more liveable for foreigners these years. I hope more malls will follow :-)
I can go without malls.. I would rather have better health care. A lot of Laos people and foreigners still go to Thai for their hospitals.

I miss the flea markets. It's nice to barter for merchandise. I miss the night market along the Mekong River. :D
laosTraveller
Vientiane Lurker
Vientiane Lurker

Postby laosTraveller » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Phouvanay wrote:I miss the flea markets. It's nice to barter for merchandise. I miss the night market along the Mekong River. :D
Found this video from a flear market in Laos. Judging from all the clothes they wear it must be Winther (meaning just around 20°C) :D